By Mingming Shi
Do you think you know Iceland? Try this quiz and find out for sure!
Answers to follow next week.
1) Please identify the international organisation of which Iceland is not a member.
A. European Union
B. European Free Trade Association
C. Nordic Council
D. Arctic Council
2) Who was the Prime Minister of Iceland at the start of the 2008 Financial Crisis?
A. Jóhanna Vigdís Hjaltadóttir
B. Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir
C. Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson
D. Geir Haarde
3) In which year did Iceland gain full independence from the Kingdom of Denmark?
4) The biggest glacier in Iceland is:
5) Which university in Iceland was established in the early twentieth century, and open to both men and women from the beginning?
A. University of Iceland
B. University of Akureyri
C. Iceland University of the Arts
D. Reykjavik University
6) Which of the following statements is correct?
A. There is no such political position as Vice President in Iceland
B. Most Icelandic women adopt the last name of their husbands after marriage C. The biggest sector in the Icelandic economy is tourism
D. Icelanders are the descendants of Eddard “Ned” Stark and Catelyn and Tully
7) The name of Iceland’s parliament, in the Icelandic language, is:
8) What is the currency of Iceland nowadays?
A. Danish Krone
B. Viking Krona
C. Nordic krona
D. Icelandic Króna
9) Katrín Jakobsdottir, the current Prime Minister of Iceland, is affiliated with which political party?
A. Progressive Party
C. Independence Party
D. People’s Action Party
10) Please identify the brand name below which is not Icelandic.
A. 66º North
D. The North Face
11) How many Christmas folklore figures, (or Santa Clauses), does Iceland have, according to local legends?
12) What does “lopapeysa” mean in Icelandic?
A. Icelandic lamb soup
B. Icelandic painting tradition
C. Icelandic wool sweater
D. The National Day of Iceland
13) Which of the following activities cannot be done in Iceland?
A. Tasting local greenhouse grown tomatoes
B. Puffin watching
C. Glacial hiking
D. Polar bear watching
14) The last name of Björk, the Icelandic musician, is:
D. She does not have a last name
15) Which of these mammals is native to Iceland?
A. Icelandic sheepdog
B. Arctic fox
16) In 2019, Icelanders held a funeral for a melted glacier in the country, and the name of the glacier was:
17) The best conditions for northern lights observation, including in Iceland, do not include:
A. Clear and dark sky
B. Low temperature
C. No artificial lights
D. Strong solar wind activity
18) What was the name of the volcano which erupted in 2010 and caused massive flight cancellations around Europe?
19) Please identify the news media service below which is not Icelandic.
C. The Reykjavík Grapevine
20) The only part of Icelandic territory north of the Arctic Circle is:
B. Westman islands
C. Grímsey island