by Mingming Shi
How well do you know Iceland? Here is another chance to test your knowledge of the country! Answers are posted here!
1) What does “vatn” mean in the word “Vatnajökull”, the name of Iceland’s largest glacier?
2) In which of the following countries has Iceland not established an embassy?
d) United States
3) In which year did electricity become available in Iceland?
4) Where is this famous puffin statue (pictured above) located?
5) Who was the first president of Iceland?
a) Ólafur Ragnar Grímsson
b) Sveinn Björnsson
c) Friðrik Sophusson
d) Davið Oddsson
6) Please identify which letter is not used in the Icelandic language.
7) Iceland was a founding member of which one of these international organisations?
a) United Nations
b) League of Nations
c) North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO)
d) European Union
8) Which of the following international brands does not have a brick and mortar store in Iceland?
9) What is the Icelandic name for the country’s famous “Blue Lagoon”?
a) Bláa lónið
10) How many cities are there in Iceland?
11) Which of the following activities cannot be done in the Reykjavík’s main shopping street, Laugavegur?
a) Find a stuffed polar bear toy
b) Enjoy Vietnamese cuisine
c) Try local spirits
d) Go swimming at the Laugardalslaug pool
12) Which location in Iceland was not used for locational filming of the series ‘Game of Thrones’?
a) Þingvellir national park
b) Hallormsstaðaskógur national forest
c) Þórsmörk mountain ridge
d) Grjótagjá hot springs
13) What is the name of the first female Prime Minister of Iceland?
a) Mette Frederiksen
b) Mingming Shi
c) Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir
d) Katrín Jakobsdóttir
14) What is the marine animal pictured on the Iceland one króna coin?
15) What is the English translation of Iceland’s capital city, Reykjavík?
b) “Northern Lights”
c) “Bay of Smoke”
d) “High Waves”
16) Which character in “The Simpsons” was raised in Iceland?
17) In which Icelandic town does the United States maintain its military presence?
18) Which of the following activities does Jólakötturinn (the Icelandic Christmas Cat) do at Christmas, according to Icelandic legend?
a) Brings gifts to the poor and homeless
b) Eats people without new clothes
c) Rescues lost puffins on glaciers
d) Flies (to catch falcons) and swims (to catch fish)
19) Which following statements about Iceland’s Surtsey Island is incorrect?
a) It appeared from an undersea volcano eruption in the 1960s
b) It is open for tourism
c) It is the second largest island of the Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands) archipelago
d) It is a World Heritage Site, recognised by the United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organisation (UNESCO)
20) Which street does Reykjavík’s famous Hallgrímskirkja Church face?